Interested in knowing more?
- Flowers that produce seeds can be left standing through the winter, providing important food for birds.
- Other things besides bird feeders that inadvertently attract bears to people's property are unsecured garbage cans, unsecured compost, and unsecured pet food. Use cans with secure lids, preferably bear-proof.
- Do not leave food in vehicles in areas with bears. This is especially important for people who visit the outdoors and are not used to thinking about bears at home. Bears can heavily damage and break into locked cars to reach food.
- Vegetable gardens with root vegetables like potatoes, beets, or carrots can attract bears. Lots of carbs in root vegetables, which they enjoy like fat and protein.
- Do not use fish fertilizer in your garden. Bears love fish. See bear above dreaming about fish, they love them so much.
- Burn off grease and clean BBQ grills so that the odors do not attract bears.
- Some people bring in their bird feeders in the evening, but bears are attracted to feeders day and night. It is better than leaving the feeders out 24/7, but not much.
- Bears coming into yards and finding food, whether in bird feeders or unsecured containers, leads to them continuing to associate human yards and homes with food, which leads to conflict and ultimately the bear's death. Plant flowers for the birds.
- Read more about keeping bears out of your yard at www.bearSmart.com.